Tuesday, September 5, 2017

How's the new job going?



I get asked this question a lot from family and friends. I usually just say, "It's fine" or "It's okay." It would take more than just a sentence or even a 5 minute answer to describe the mix of emotions I have for my new job as a registered nurse. It has taken me 3 days to write this post, trying to get my thoughts and feelings together, exploring how I feel about my new job. Hopefully, this post can shed some light on how I feel about working as a registered nurse.







EXCITING
My new job as a registered nurse is exciting. I knew in high school that I was going to pursue a nursing degree. During college, before being accepted into nursing school, every class and every assignment was completed to the best of my ability in order to make the best grades so I could be accepted into nursing school. During nursing school, every class and every assignment was completed to the best of my ability in order to make the best grades to stay in nursing school and to learn the most so I could be the best nurse possible. For years I have been working toward this single goal of becoming a registered nurse. Now that I have achieved that goal, I'm excited. If I really think
about it, about how hard my journey has been, I become so proud of myself. I'm so proud that I have made it this far and achieved this goal that, just a few years ago, seemed so far away. I am still learning nursing skills, how to interact with patients, and how to manage my time every day. That's exciting. I never want to stop learning. 

SCARY
My new job as a registered nurse is scary. I am working in an environment that I have never worked in before. I have worked in retail and in the food business but never in healthcare. In previous jobs, it was my duty to provide customer service. I have never been responsible for other people. Every day at work it is my job to review the care my patient has been receiving, review the care they will receive the day I work, and review the care they will receive in the future. I have to determine if it's the care they need. I need to look at all these little components and make sure my patient is moving in the right direction, make sure they are getting healthier. Being responsible for another human being is a little bit scary. Every medication, every procedure, every decision I make, I quadruple check to make sure I am doing the right thing, I am giving the right medication, I am performing the right procedure. I don't want to make a mistake. So how do I conquer this fear? I work. Thinking about work outside of work is scary. Once I go into work and start my shift, those fears fade away and I just work. And, like I said, I quadruple check everything. I also ask my fellow co-workers for advice. I'll take all the advice I can get.

STRESSFUL
My new job as a registered nurse is stressful. In nursing school, I was given 1-2 patients. I would give medications with my teacher, do my assessments, and write nurses notes. As a registered nurse, you get 6 patients. You give medications, assess your patients, chart, communicate with other members of the healthcare team (doctors, physical therapy, transport staff, pharmacists, medical assistants, radiology, dialysis, lab, etc.), perform nursing skills, and keep everything up to date such as changing IV tubing and updating communication boards. Nursing school gives you knowledge about how to be a nurse but does not prepare you for the increase in your workload. That's why I am thankful for being in a nurse residency program where I have a preceptor for 12 weeks. They help prepare you and your workload gradually increases. I am extremely thankful for what my preceptor has taught me and all the help my co-workers offer. 

FULFILLING
My new job as a registered nurse is fulfilling. Being a support person for someone during their best and worst times is seriously such a rewarding experience. It is so difficult to describe. I remember the very first patient I had in nursing school. I remember the first patient I had that was a total care patient. I remember my first code blue, I remember the patient. I remember my third code blue and how the family was right outside the room while the healthcare team was trying to resuscitate the patient. I remember my first code armstrong (means there is a combative patient) during my psych rotation, it was a patient that was threatening to take his own life. I remember the nurse that didn't let him. I remember the first birth I saw, how happy the family was. I remember the first baby I saw that did not survive, how tiny his body was. I could go on and on about all of these patients I have had, about how they have impacted me. I have been touched by many lives. I hope I can touch some too. 

HAPPY
My new job as a registered nurse makes me happy. I have worked so hard to be where I am. I have my dream job. I would not want to do anything else (besides continuing my education and becoming a nurse practitioner or midwife). This is just the beginning of my journey and I can't wait to see what the future holds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

@oliviamburgess