Thursday, August 24, 2017

my typical shift

I am now taking the full 6 patients on my own. I provide the usual care such as giving medications, assessing my patients, and completing orders. Since I am a new nurse, I’m doing these things while also learning new skills, learning to prioritize, and learning how to communicate with other hospital staff such as doctors, nutrition services, and even IT when my badge or Meditech (what we use to chart) stops working. I am also trying to have an emotional bond with my patients, to connect with them on a more personal level, to provide the best care possible. Here is the typical shift I experience during my 12 hours.

0638: I clock in. We go to huddle which is a time where all staff meets to discuss patient care, new updates, etc.

0700: Shift report. I learn about all my patients, how the night went, and what to expect throughout the day.

0800-1000: Morning meds and assessment time. Fulfill any needs my patients have. Doctors usually come around during this time to visit their patients and new orders are usually received. 

1000-1300: Documenting and afternoon medications. Fulfill any needs my patients have. I try to finish documenting by 1130 but sometimes it will get stretched to about 1300. And I don’t mean the usual assessment documenting. I try to go through my patient’s entire chart to try to see if anything is missing. During this time, we have to give insulin to our diabetics. This is also a good time to do dressing changes but sometimes those have to wait until after lunch. We are still completing orders during this time. This is probably prime time for discharge orders. We have two hours, from the time we receive discharge orders, to discharge the patient. 

1300-1600: Staff starts to go to lunch. I usually don’t go to lunch until about 1500/1530 (3:00pm-3:30pm). I try to cluster care as much as I can. One reason is so I’m not constantly interrupting my patient’s resting time. Another reason is so I can decrease my stress. I try to finish any dressing changes that I need to do. A lot of antibiotics are hung around this time. A lot of fluids are usually hung around this time as well. More afternoon meds are given and patients are discharged. Continue to fulfill any needs my patients have.

1600-1700: Time to give insulin to our diabetic patients. I check again to make sure all medications were given and all documentation is updated. If we are getting a new admit, we usually get report around this time. I fulfill any needs my patients have.

1700-1800:  New admission rolls in, time to do the admission assessment which can take about 45 minutes. Review orders for new admission. Complete the orders. During this time, I try to document my intake and output for each patient and fulfill any needs my patients have.

1800-1900: I like to write notes on my shift report sheets for night shift so they can remember what’s going on. So, during this time I make my hand-off sheets. I try to make sure everything is completed before night shift comes and fulfill any needs my patients have.

1900: Shift report starts. I tell night shift about all my patients, how the night was, and what to expect during the night.   

1920-1930: I clock out.

I work on an observation unit. We can have high turn-over. I think the record for discharges one day that I worked was 12. 12 discharges in one shift?! Crazy. Then, you get new admissions after that.  I do get stressed out but I like the fast pace. I am excited to work on the unit I am currently on because I think I will see a lot of diseases/illnesses, learn new skills, and learn how to be a time management queen.  ðŸ‘‘


No comments:

Post a Comment

@oliviamburgess