Saturday, August 19, 2017

& for 12 hours it's not about me


I graduated from nursing school in May 2017. I took my NCLEX on June 5th and became a registered nurse. I have been working in a hospital since the middle of June. Being a new grad RN, I’ve had to learn how to manage my own patients, my own workload, and explore my emotions as I transition to working as a registered nurse. A few weeks ago, I had four patients all on my own. It was an easy day, the only thing that was really stressful for me was discharges, educating non-compliant patients, and blood sugars. Oh, those blood sugars. If only they would be perfect all the time.

After a long day at work, I came home, removed my scrubs, ate supper, showered, and got myself into bed to get ready for the next day. That night I had a thought.For 12 hours I was providing care to
another person, educating to try to provide my patients information so they won’t get sick again, and constantly thinking about every step I took so I wouldn’t make errors that would put my patients in danger. For 12 hours, I was thinking of someone other than myself. After having this thought, I broke down. Working as a nurse is so physically and emotionally exhausting, and that night when I broke down, I questioned if I made the right career choice. After stressful days at work where my patients need a lot of care or they're really sick, sometimes I have nightmares. I dream about work, about my patients, and sometimes I wake up and think if I did all I could for them that day.  

So, did I make the right choice? HELL YES I DID. I have not been a nurse for long but I have had great connections with my patients. I’ve had patients tell me that I’m a great nurse, family members say that other staff should model their behavior after me, and they will even stop me in the hallway to take the time to thank me for taking care of their loved ones. All of that, makes it worth it. I’m not only in the healthcare business, but I’m also in customer service. My clientele DON’T want my service. Patients don’t want to be in the hospital! However, if I could make their stay a little better, a little happier, and put a smile on their face then I’m in the right business.   

All nurses, whether you’ve had one-month experience or 30-years experience, should remember that our patients are still people that are going through a very hard time in their life. It is very easy, when providing care to patient after patient after patient, to forget that they are individuals who have specific needs. No one enjoys being sick. No one enjoys not knowing what is going on with their body. To me nursing is not just giving meds, assessing my patients, and talking to doctors so we can send you home. Nursing is providing care, providing emotional support, making sure that my patients have all the resources they need when they’re discharged, being an advocate, being an educator, and being a friend. If I can provide my patient with all of these things, if I can make this tough time in their life a little less tough, if I can alleviate their stress, then I know I am the right field. My job, although stressful, makes me happy and makes my life feel full. I cannot wait to continue my career as a nurse, continue my education, and continue to touch lives. I became a nurse to make an impact, and that’s what I plan to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

@oliviamburgess