Monday, January 14, 2019

the start of something new pt. 2


Half a year ago I wrote a blog post titled, the start of something new. In that blog post, I talked about starting a new job as a labor and delivery nurse. When I first became a nurse, I work on a med-surg floor which consists of your general adult patient population. If you go to the hospital to visit someone who is sick, this is probably where you would go. I really enjoyed being a med-surg nurse; however, I wanted to be a labor and delivery nurse when I graduated so I decided it was time to pursue that dream.

I started my job as a labor and delivery nurse in May 2018. I instantly enjoyed it. When I tell people about my job I usually say that it is a very positive. MOST times people say, "Well, it's not always." I know that. 95% of it is though. Seeing first time moms and dads starting their family after trying for over a year to get pregnant is a very rewarding experience. It is rewarding to be part of any family's birth story. After a few months working as a labor and delivery nurse, I realized that I missed school. I know, weird right?

In October 2018, I decided that I was going to apply to a masters program. I had a few options that I was interested in. I eventually decided to apply to a Family Nurse Practitioner program. I hope to work in an OBGYN office after I graduate. A lot of people had a lot of different opinions about me applying to a FNP program. Some people were supportive and some were not. Ultimately, it is my decision. I am going to go to school part-time and work full-time. Based on the track I am on I won't graduate for another 2-3 years. During this time, I am going to absorb every bit of information and every experience I can.

I am super excited for this new chapter in my life. I can't wait to soak up every bit of knowledge I come in contact with and apply it to my current career and future career. After reading this, do one thing for me. Send positive vibes my way. I know there will be a few who want to criticize me or doubt me. What I need is positivity. It is never too early to start working on your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

@oliviamburgess