Friday, May 4, 2018

the start of something new




I got a new job. 😀

During my last semester of nursing school, I had a clinical rotation in Labor and Delivery and fell in love. I was excited to learn all things L&D and to see new life come into this world. I wanted my first job to be in L&D. I pretty much begged for my preceptorship to be in L&D because I knew that was where I wanted to work. Luckily, I got to precept in L&D. It was an amazing experience.

When it came time to apply for jobs, I applied everywhere. I think I had about 6 interviews. I received 3 job offers, all for med-surg. I began to work, excited because I really liked the vibe of the floor I chose to work on. I learned a lot and did not mind med-surg. (It's actually a really great learning experience and I recommend it to everyone). However, I was still going to aim for the goal of working in Labor & Delivery. I continued to search for available L&D jobs near me.



A few months ago, I saw a posting online for needed labor & delivery nurses and nursery nurses. I applied for both, knowing that that was the field I wanted to work in. It was at the same hospital I precepted at and I was really hoping that I would get the opportunity. I spoke to my preceptor about how I had applied and she spoke to her director about me. 😊 They contacted me! I went in to meet with the manager of the floor and they offered me the position the very next day!

I start May 7, this Monday! I will have orientation to the hospital next week and then train with a preceptor for 3 months on the floor. I will train in every area - labor & delivery,  nursery, and postpartum. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I get to re-study the area that I love and apply it in my job.

Y'all, I'm so excited. That's all I have to say. I was going to insert a big smiley face emoji here but I don't think there's an emoji with a smile that's big enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

@oliviamburgess